05 July 2007

PHEW!!!

The good news is that Fudge is fine, albeit a bit shook up by the experience.

I took him to the vet and she had a good prod and poke (Fudge by the way is a darling when he visits the vet - he does nothing but purr and be all cute - it's probably why everyone at my veterinary surgery loves him) this morning and the vet gave him something to induce vomiting. The end result was that he threw up 5 massive sharp blades of grass - they were huge! The vet said that they were of the grass family, but how on earth he swallowed them whole is beyond me. They got stuck in his food pipe, and the trouble with this type of grass is that it has tiny hairs which makes it incredibly sticky. This is why they got stuck in his food pipe in the first place.

The vet also said that there is undoubtedly some cuts and lacerations down there, so she gave him a shot of antibiotic and told me to keep him in today. So far it's looking very promising. He's been his usual lovable self, i.e., rubbing my face whenever he gets high enough, meowing for England, Scotland and Wales when I made myself a chicken salad sandwich this afternoon. This compared to the lifeless puss that graced my vision this morning, is great progress. I also gave him some cat food (Felix) and he ate quite a bit of it. He's currently curled up on the sofa, with his favourite blanket. So it looks like he'll be OK - PHEW, but it's been exhausting. Thank you so much for your well wishes ( you know who you are!) - they have kept me going today. You're such great friends. I will get round to reading everyone's blogs, but I'm going to turn in now, as I feel as though I've run a marathon! xxxx

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank goodness he is okay. I didn't think cats could swallow grass whole.

Carol said...

Oh, what a relief Carto! You sure did the right thing! Poor baby!!! I was worrying about both of you yesterday.

Singular Stitches said...

Oh, Heidi, I an so very, very , very happy to hear that it was something minor and not some condition! Please give Fudge a hug and a kiss on the nose for me.

"...meowing for England, Scotland and Wales when I made myself a chicken salad sandwich this afternoon..." - LOL!!! You're too funny. I could just see it! I think Abner meows for the entire Mid-Atlantic states! :o)

Alberta said...

Glad to hear that Fudge is on the mend! What a scare that must have been. Pets can get into the darnest things. Our dog ate something that disagreed and it took a good year before she was back to normal on all avenues. To this day we don't know what it was or where she found it - could have been tossed over the back fence, who knows these days! I just know that pets are very important in this family. Sounds like you are of the same frame of mind.

I hope things warm up for you - I'll send you some of ours.

Take care and have a wonderful weekend! :)

Leeland said...

My! What a relief! You sure did well taking Fudge to the vet! So many people are unattentive at their pets, Fudge is very lucky to have you, Heidi! I must confess I was terribly worried, so thank you for telling us the diagnosis. Please, keep us informed, OK? Don't wait too long before your next post...
Big huge hugs to you and Fudge, Lili

Samantha said...

I'm so glad that Fudge is ok. Here's hoping his cuts & lacerations heal up quickly. {{{hugs}}}

stitcherw said...

I'm so glad that Fudge is doing better. I'm behind in my reading, so didn't realize he was feeling off until now. It is so scary when our furbabies don't feel well they are so much a part of the family. Hopefully he won't eat anymore of the type of grass that caused the problem, and the cuts and stuff heal up soon.
Sue

Hazel said...

Glad to hear your puss is okay. xx

stitcherw said...

Hope Fudge is still doing fine and hasn't gotten into any more grass, and that you are getting some stitching time in.
Sue

Aussie Stitcher said...

Glad to hear that Fudge is doing much better.

Joanne

CritterLady62 said...

I'm glad to hear that Fudge is doing better! Hopefully, you've recovered as well!

stitcherw said...

So how's Fudge? How are you? Getting a lot of stitching done? Hope you've been doing some fun stuff.
Sue

stitcherw said...

So..it's been a month, what's up? Everything ok? Getting lots of stitchy stuff done?
Sue